Sunday, August 9, 2009

Suspension of Disbelief

I downloaded Skins Series 3 today. BitTorrent is my best friend! I watched all 10 episodes, & while I do prefer the original cast I do enjoy the new cast quite a lot. I'd have to say JJ is my favorite so far. I kind of have a thing for the outcasts, the "unusual" ones, the lonely, misunderstood types. Plus he's kind of cute :-). I actually cried during his episode, number 7. Like I said, I have a weakness for his sort of character. Probably because I can relate to him somewhat. Well, other than the frantic lusting after girls. I'm a little sad that's it's over now. I get so emotionally invested in movies & TV shows (especially when I watch them a who season/series at a time) that I get a little depressed when finished. It's the same with books too. I guess I just like to escape, to let myself drift into some fantasy world that the author, writer, director has created. "Suspension of disbelief" I believe Samuel Taylor Coleridge called it (Haha, yeah. I knew the phrase, but I will admit I looked it up on Wikipedia & got his name :-P Cheeky me!). Although, I supose it's really more a case of escapism if I'm being honest, which I'm trying to be. It's not that my life is really shit, I know it isn't. I know my life could be a lot worse &that other peoples' lives are worse & that I should be grateful for my life. But, I don't know, compared to the world of TV, movies & books my life just doesn't compare. If I tried to make my life into a movie right now I could barely fill a 30-second comercial slot. If I tried to make my life into a book it would be half a page long. I've just always wanted to have a story to tell. I've always wanted to tell my grandchildren (because I'd love to have children one day, but more on that later) "This was my life. This is what I did. There were good times & there were bad times. But it was an adventure, & I'm proud of the life I've lived." I don't know if it's healthy, but I've always tried to make my life more exciting. I've tried to bring some drama into my life. Nothing too serious, but just to spice things up a little. Who knows. I'm probably doing it right now, subconsciously. Trying to make myself more interesting. Anyway, that's what I get for watching 8 hours of Skins in one day.

[Edit]: I just looked at this again & realized it's one very massive paragraph. It's a bit daunting really. Sorry this is so "stream of consciousness", but that's how I write best. My AP English teacher told me so. I'll try to break things up into smaller chunks later & organize my thoughts a bit, but I also want this to be organic & natural. Just think of it as an insight into my mind.

Random-Though-Somewhat-Related Fact: I was voted "Best Writer" my Senior year. It was a load of BS though. My friend was in Senior Editor for the yearbook & she gave us all the ballots with blank spots so we all put our names in for things we were "running" for. I hope High School election fraud isn't a felony. I was also voted "Most Likely to Save the World". As if. More like "Most Likely to Tell the World to Fuck Off".

5 comments:

  1. I didn't like Skins series 3 all that much cos they were so unbelievable - no ones lives are that 'interesting', don't worry ;)

    Loving your writing style, it's like a real insight into your thoughts rather than a wall to them <3 So even if you didn't really win that award, you deserve it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!
    I love skins!! Best show ever! I too like the first cast better but season 3 is still awesome because it seems like a different show...it's more 'dangerous' (well that's what I'm calling it) and maybe a bit more realistic or with the times? Idk, I can't quite think what I'm trying to say haha.

    Cheers for the linkage, I'll return the favour when I'm not on my phone.
    You seem like a real cool guy, look forward to reading many more posts!

    Cheers,
    M-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments guys. Like I said, I did prefer the first cast. And I'll have to agree with Sam, this new cast is a little less believable. But I do like that Effy became more of an actual character, rather than some silent druggie. Now she's a talking druggie :-) I don't know where they're going to go with the 4th series though, it seems like they wrapped almost everything up in the finale. Series 1 at least there was a cliff-hanger.

    Anyway, I love you Brits and Aussies, and M, you don't know how much it tickles me that you said "cheers". :-D

    And Sam, I really did win that award, it's in the yearbook and everything. I just might have had some..."help" winning :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. linkage complete:)
    yeah maybe it's not more believable... But I don't live in the uk so I can't tell, haha.
    It tickles you that I said cheers? Haha may I ask why? It's pretty much 'thanks' for us aussies:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just always had a fascination with anything British, especially British English, and for that matter Aussie English. I'm in American and no one says "cheers", well except for a few weirdos :-) Idk, I just think it's mad fun. Not sure if that makes sense, but it's the best I can explain it.

    And thanks for the link! :-D

    ReplyDelete